Ormsgill became part of the parish in 1937, and we took over the mission on Schneider Road from St Paul’s. In the early years (1937-40) the Sunday service was Evensong at 6:30pm, but in 1941 the Eucharist became the Sunday morning service.
Following the 1946 mission plans were made to expand the work in Ormsgill. In 1947 on May 13th, the Bishop of Carlisle dedicated the mission as the church of St Francis (of Assisi).
February 1950 saw a building sub-committee formed to build a new church at Ormsgill. Just five years later on Saturday 16th July 1955 the new church was consecrated.
A curate’s house was built behind the church and in 1961 it got its first occupant. Since then 10 more priests have lived and worked in the house.